Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sad realizations

Okay, so I made a sad self-discovery tonight. In just a few short weeks I have become hopelessly dependent on my new PVR. How did I ever live without it???

My cable went out today. Who the hell knows why. It just did. And the stupid customer service person at Rogers convinced me to unplug my PVR and reboot it -- assuring me that I wouldn't lose anything I'd saved. (I kept asking her if I'd lose stuff... She insisted I wouldn't. I kept pointing out that if neither of my cable boxes were working it was highly unlikely to be the cable boxes, it must be the cable itself... But she knew better and insisted I try the evil reboot.)

After 15 minutes on the phone with her and watching my PVR try unsuccessfully to reboot, she informed me the problem wasn't my cable boxes, but the cable service into my house. Something I freakin' told her 15 minutes earlier. But it gets worse. The result of the ill-advised reboot was that not only could I not watch TV (because the cable's out) I also couldn't watch any of the shows I recorded last week when I was visiting my auntie out west because now the PVR is all fraked up. Damn it.

The rage I felt was incredible. Scary.

Hello. My name is Maureen and I am a serious TV addict.

6 comments:

Jing said...

oh frack? you are my tv-watching-pvr-addicted-twin.

i feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I adore my PVR in the way that others feel about their own blood kin.

Mia King said...

OK, this is what happens when you live on an island. What's PVR?

Maureen McGowan said...

Mia, probably in the US you know this by a brand name, Tivo. Personal video recorder I think is what it stands for... but that's a silly name now that I think of it... It's nothing to do with video tape. It's a digital recorder for TV.

Anonymous said...

Well, the first step towards solving your problem is admitting you have one.

And PVR sounds like it may be closer to DVR for the U.S.--which is what I have in my house and could not possibly live without.

Henri de Montmorency said...

I'm having trouble getting used to these American addictions. Back in my native land of France, we did not have those things but then a lot has changed the last time I was there over 300 years ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...