Friday, August 29, 2008

Finding out how the other half lives

Well, it might not be so bad. But I've been so lucky in the past...

For those of you who've been reading my blog for the last couple of years, you know I go to the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) every fall -- whether I have time to or not, which I really don't this year, but that's another topic.

Anyway, there's this lottery system. Basically you hand in your selections in an envelope, your envelope goes in a box that's assigned a number. They draw a number out of a hat to determine which box gets opened first and then continue in order.

The last few years I have been VERY lucky. I think last year I was in box 69 and the number called was 64 or something crazy like that. So, my order was one of the first couple of hundred orders processed.

This year my order's in box 68 (yes, I went at the last minute, again) and the number pulled out of the hat was 9. Yes, nine. At least I'm not in box 8. That would suck.

It'll be interesting to see how I do with my picks. I have a bad feeling because I picked a lot of the films that the weekly newspaper NOW listed as "BUZZ" films and must sees. I'd already picked all but one of them before I picked up a copy of NOW... I fear this may be the year where I see a lot of my second choices.

Sigh.

Also, because of the new policy about films at the Elgin I'm bummed I'm not going to get to see the new Coen brothers film, with Clooney and Pitt... But it opens before the festival's over, anyway... Still, it's very exciting to be at the premieres of those films and I'm still angry that the TIFF have basically excluded all the package holders (their best customers) from going to see most of the bigger films.

Their response when I complained? You can always purchase a ticket when they go on sale to the public on Wednesday. Great. I already spent $600 on a ticket, good for 50 films (seeing 50 films is a very strenuous feat... I picked 45), and they expect me to purchase more tickets??? And pay for them??? And line up at about 6:00 am to even have a chance of getting one? I don't think so. Humph. Not even to see Brad and George in person again this year.

2 comments:

L.A. Mitchell said...

This picture of Brad Pitt makes me laugh. He looks like Jason Priestly. Gear up for the marathon...I'll be checking often to see what you think of the movies. I rely on your opinion more than the critics :)

Maureen McGowan said...

Ha! He does look like Jason Priestly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...