Tuesday, January 02, 2007

What Happened to Winter?


The superstitious part of me thinks this post is a mistake. That a cold front will descend the instant I push the "Publish" button.
But it's freakin' balmy in Toronto this winter.
Okay, those of you in the south or on the coast have different definitions of balmy... But it was 10 C in Toronto yesterday. New Year's Day! That's 50 F for you 'mercans. That kind of weather is typical here in October or April, not January.
The average daily maximum for this time of year is about -1 or -2 (29 or 30F) and we often get a week in the -20's around this time of year. I'm still wearing my fall jacket. I've been sleeping with my window open a crack. It's crazy.
We do often get a "warm snap" in Dec or Jan when the temperature pushes above the freezing point and all the snow melts to a slushy mess, but the strange thing this year is that there hasn't really been a cold snap. There hasn't been any snow. We did have a week back in late November where I broke out my winter jacket, but I haven't even looked for my boots yet.
I've heard economists say that global warming is good for my home and native land... That everyone in Texas and Arizona will be baking and wanting to move north. That the wheat fields in Kansas will become desert, while more and more (now permafrosted) land in Canada's north will become fertile and more desirably habitable... And we do have something like 2/3 of the world's fresh water in Canada...
Don't know about all that. All I know is I'm going to enjoy this warm weather while it lasts!

8 comments:

Sara Hantz said...

The weather everywhere has gone mad. We're meant to be in the middle of summer... WHAT SUMMER????? These last few days I've been in fleece and trackpants...aarrrggghh

Btw, have you seen The Queen yet? It's got to be my fave movie of the year. Possibly because we were in the UK then and lived through it.. but even so Helen Mirren was totally brilliant. They all were.

Amy Ruttan said...

Tell me about the weather. No white Christmas this year, but when I was incredibly pregnant last winter with 11 lb baby there was tons of snow, and I waddled through it. Now, first day back at real job I'm sweating in the office.

What was scary was that huge ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields breaking off the Ellesmere island. Apparently the water in there was thousand of years old, now polar bears are drowning. Al Gore I'm listening!

Maureen McGowan said...

Sara, no summer for you? Too bad.

I DID see The Queen and really enjoyed it. I like QEII more than I care to admit... And I like the way Mirren portrayed her. Amazing.

Amy, yes, that ice shelf news was startling. My Dad is living in the arctic right now (don't ask). But I don't think global warming has affected where he lives much... Still -50 or so this time of year. Crazy.

Anonymous said...

I think all the freshwater you could want is falling from the sky here. Ugh rain.

Shannon McKelden said...

Yeah, I'm with Eileen (living not too far south from her, but in Washington state)! It rained to beat all hell today...but it was 56 freaking degrees here in Seattle at 5:30 AM!! Amazing.

Shannon

Unknown said...

My kids are going nuts because there's no snow yet this year. They were scraping the little bit that fell the other day in a vain attempt to build a snow man. And then it rained...

Anonymous said...

The weather is crazy.
I had planned to eventually be a snowbird but if this keeps up, I won't have to.

I love not having to cram on the bus because everyone is wearing their puffy winter coats.

Anonymous said...

86 in south Florida today. Eighty-freaking-SIX!!! Even I'M tired of this!

I can't even wear my fabulous new boots! (Trying to catch up with your shoe collection, Maureen.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...