Friday, January 25, 2008

I miss Heath already

Okay, I meant to post something about Heath Ledger's death the day it happened, but I think part of me didn't really believe it yet.

It's sad when anyone dies, certainly devastating when someone we know and love dies, but with celebrities, some deaths hit me so much harder than others. And this was one.

I had the thrill of being in the same room as him a couple of times at the TIFF, first for The Four Feathers (which I wasn't crazy about)... and then for Brokeback Mountain (which I was crazy about) and most recently for Candy which was super dark and sad... but he was great in it. I blogged about that day, actually. I almost got roughed up by a security guard when I snapped his picture while he was introducing the film.

Yes, I was that close. No zoom. And as an aside... This year, 2007, they seemed to be fine with photos before and after the films again. Go figure. But they did have guards with night vision watching everyone during the films and the police actually came into one screening at the end... I think it was actually The Assassination of Jesse James... but I'm not 100% sure, anymore... to check out the camera of a guy who was sitting right behind me. I was hoping they were going to arrest him for talking to his girlfriend during the movie, but whatever.

Heath Ledger's death, however it happened, is so tragic. I think he was incredibly talented and I believe we would have been seeing interesting work from him for fifty years to come. Tragic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad, too. From what I've read, it sounds like he was a wonderful guy, and he seemed so talented in the films I've watched him in. It's tragic.

Louisa Edwards said...

He's a very James Dean figure to me. Strikingly good looking, shockingly talented, gone way too soon.

Wylie Kinson said...

I was inexplicably sad over his death. I've seen a few movies, never gave him much thought - but wow, I was really shaken when I heard the news. I guess I was mourning for his potential -- so many more great films to make, a daughter to raise...

:(

Sara Hantz said...

I couldn't believe it. So sad. Such a great loss.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...