Thursday, September 10, 2009

Caved

Totally caved and bought a few tickets for the TIFF today. Not even sure how many right now. Got so annoyed with the website...

Even bought a gala ticket by mistake... (To a film starring Robin Wright Penn and Keanu Reeves that I think actually sounds pretty great. I'm a big fan of the on-again-off-again Mrs. Penn.) I knew it was a "premium" ticket, but thought it was one at the Elgin. Oh, well. I shall try Roy Thompson Hall again. I haven't seen a screening there since 2002.

The good news, for those of you mourning my lack of TIFF attendance, is I will be blogging about a few films!

The bad news is all for my finances... The tickets, bought individually, are either about $22 or $45 (all in with the taxes) depending on whether they are "premium" screenings. Still so angry about that premium thing that started last year with the Elgin screenings... See my posts from last year's festival for the rants. They so figured out how to ruin the good thing I had going with the festival, spending most evenings at the Elgin where I could hang at the VISA VIP lounge for gold card members and get into the theatre in front of the line on the street. Guess too many other people figured out the great scheme, too...

Based on these prices, the $600 for 50 films is starting to look like a good deal after all. Not that I have time for 50 films this year. Pushing it to go to the ten or so I chose. Just saying.

I was going to go to the midnight madness showing of Jennifer's Body tonight. I'm interested only because Diablo Coady wrote it, and it's the first night, which is fun... but the buzz is not good, so I don't see the point in standing in a line outside for 3-4 hours to possibly get the opportunity to pay $22 to see a horror movie, and get in at the last second to get a crappy seat and probably miss the introductions of the cast, when I really kind of hate horror movies.. But I do like the midnight madness screenings none-the-less. Fun crowds go to movies at midnight.

4 comments:

Chevy Stevens said...

Looking forward to hearing your reviews!

Wylie Kinson said...

YAY!!! I can stop watching eTalk and keep an eye out for your commentary.
Are you seeing CREATION (because I really want 'us' to catch this one). What about Up in the Air? or that Goat one (it's late, the name escapes -- Men Staring at Goats?? something like that).

Ooooh! I'm so excited for us :)

Marilyn Brant said...

Oh, good!! You always do such a wonderful job of giving us all the heads-up for the best/worst films. Looking forward to your reviews, Maureen!

L.A. Mitchell said...

I knew you couldn't resist ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...