Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Committed

I was going to title this post "over commitment" and then realized, right now, I should really be committed.

Many of you know I'm coordinating my local RWA chapter's writing contest this year, and so far, we've received 152 entries, and I'm expecting more to roll in over the week as they had to be postmarked by last Saturday.

Each of these need to be judged by 3 judges, so allocating over 450 score sheets to judges is, shall we say, a nightmare. (If anyone out there reading this is willing to help judge, let me know. :-) I have almost enough judges... but a few are having to take on more entries than I'd like.)

And what arrives in my e-mail today? (after 6 arrived in my postal mailbox) A contest entry. Ah, I think. Disqualified. The e-mail entries had to be in by midnight on Saturday.

BUT NO!!! I freaking volunteered to be the coordinator for one of the categories for the Golden Pen contest, too, and they're starting to roll in. AND, I'm the coordinator for one category for the Stiletto contest, too.

WHEN WILL I EVER FINISH MY MANUSCRIPT????

(Send the men with the straight jacket now, please.)

8 comments:

J.K. Coi said...

Whoa, Maureen. Calm. Cool. Breathe.

Now...what the heck were you thinking? :)

L.A. Mitchell said...

Maureen,
If you need another judge, I'd be happy to. Send them on. Maybe that will help you a smidgen :)

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know you I'd say you were probably more than a bit tipsy when you agreed to coordinate so many contests.
Oh, wait a minute ...

:)

All kidding aside, speaking from the TRW contest perspective you are doing an awesome job. The other two contests will get, I'm sure, just as much commitment from you. If no one has said thanks - THANKS!!!

Maureen McGowan said...

L.A. You are a godsend.

J.K. and Nelsa, too. You're all judging. You all rock! But at least J.K. and Nelsa are from my local chapter. L.A. hails from Texas. Assistance above and beyond!

LOL, Nelsa. I think Jude did ply me with beers to get me to commit to the TRW one. The others were moments of late-night weakness. I know members of the boards of both other two chapters and really feel for how hard it is to get people to step up to the plate. I think in both cases, they didn't have an overall coordinator and I said I wouldn't do that, but would do a category if they were desperate... And I ended up with a category for both.

I think, anyway. Now that I think of it, I haven't heard much on the chick lit chapter's contest, considering I'm a coordinator and the deadline's coming up... But that doesn't mean that much. :-)

Eileen said...

Ever wonder if you have an evil twin who volunteers for things?

Wine is required.

Wylie Kinson said...

Wait... I'm sending over my cloning machine.

Annette Gallant said...

Yikes! I recommend deep cleansing yoga breaths followed by copious amounts of chocolate. Or just skip the yoga breathing and go straight to the good stuff. :-)

Seriously, hope you can carve out some time for your book.

Barbara Martin said...

What a task you took on. I know the feeling; I took show entries for a CKC Specialty Show one year and shortly found out how time consuming it was, apart from the people who wanted late entries and the excuses that accompanied those entries.

No, you don't need a straight jacket. Don't even go there, not in this province. Sit yourself down, fan your face and have a cool drink of water.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...