Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Living off the Grid

My power was out most of yesterday and again this morning for about 3 hours. I swear. Some days I feel like I live in a 3rd world country.

I don't know what it is with the area of Toronto I live in. I had a few days last winter (a very cold stretch, too) where I didn't have power. Less than a block away, people had power. Just not me. Realy got to know a few of my fellow work at home neighbours as we fought over the one plug at our local coffee shop to charge our phones and laptops.

That time there'd been a big storm and a tree was down near me. And another one a few blocks north. And there were trees and power lines down all over the city... So I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

But this time... I wish they'd just fix whatever's wrong. This morning it went out at 7:00 am. Came on at about 7:20 for maybe three minutes and then went out again. (I have lots of things, including my alarm system and my doorbell that scream when the power goes off or on... so I notice each time.)
Did that a couple more times until I gave up and got out of bed about 9:45 when it came back on for about the fourth time in 3 hours. (I went to bed about 3:00... so with my 7:00 am rude awakening this morning. I'm going to be cranky today.)

I'll be crankier if the power goes out again. I'm lost without my computer. (Not to mention my air conditioning.)

Fingers crossed it'll stay on long enough for me to input a whack of changes to my ms and print it again.

3 comments:

Barrie said...

Sounds very painful. My sister (the one who lives near you) is out of town. She's lucky that way. Always manages to miss the TO grid catastrophes. You might want a copy of her schedule? :)

L.A. Mitchell said...

You guys need AC up there? I'd never have guessed that. Now, here? It's Africa, fry-the-bottom-of-your-feet hot. In Texas, August is a bad word.

Do you ever write longhand? I've tried many, many times and can't do it. What does that say? Who knows.

Unknown said...

I hear that the power goes out in Orleans (outside of Ottawa) often as well. It's weird how it hits some areas more often than others. I'm researching and planning on living off the grid completely - as soon as I can find a 20 acre site along the Rideau River.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...