Friday, August 03, 2007

More Bio Pics

Okay, so I'm wishing I'd learned a bit more about the new Jane Austen movie before letting myself get so excited about it. I just read a review and I'm not so sure anymore...

But I did go to a wonderful bio pic this week. la Vie en Rose.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to hear Edith Piaf's song, Non Je Ne Regrette Rien, (I don't regret anything) again without tearing up. I've heard that song before, who hasn't. Believe me, even if you think you haven't, you have. But I'd never listened to the words before, and, when she sings it at the end of the movie (and when the songwriter sings it for her, initially) there are subtitles so you don't even need to understand French for the meaning of the words to dig into you.

Edith Piaf wasn't even 50 when she died, but if the movie is even partly accurate in it's portrayal, she looked and had the health of an 90 year old for the last five or so years of her life. Certainly one of those "Don't drink or do drugs" stories. And the actress who played Edith from a teen through to the end was astounding. A little over the top, perhaps, but I have a feeling Edith was a little over the top herself.

Speaking of movies about singers that could be "don't do drugs" PSAs. I saw a poster for El Cantante at the theatre and looks like it's finally being released. I saw this film last year at the festival. And, well, didn't like it much. Instead of repeating myself, you can follow this link if you're interested.

According to today's Globe and Mail, Julie Taymor's Across the Universe will be screened at this year's festival. I expect it will be a gala, and I don't typically go to those, but if it's not, I'm there. Even if it will be in theatres soon after. It looks so cool based on the trailers (which have been playing for months, already) and I think she's an amazingly creative director. Fun, fun, fun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...